Sunday, August 24, 2008

Primary Children's #2

So we arrived BACK at Primary Children's Hospital around midnight Wednesday the 20th. Kambree was still fevering, and we repeated some blood work during the day, and they were really worried that the fluid around her kidney was abscessing, and that it would need to be drained. So they admitted her and was planning an early morning "real time CT" to drain the abscess and infection. But.... of course, as they monitored her all night, she never had a fever, so they changed plans in the morning on Thursday, and decided to watch her throughout the day. So we hung out, ate pink lemonade sour slushies (Kambree's favorite, and one of only two flavors they offered), watched too much of the Disney Channel (for Cory and I), did puzzles, colored, and played with play dough. She had a visit from her cousin Connor, and Aunt Ashley & Uncle Matt. (Cory and I were grateful, we were finally able to leave the room together, and eat together, rather than taking turns) It was a good day, as far as being in a hospital goes, and as you can see by the picture below..... Kambree was happy and feeling rather well.
They decided that without fevers, she might not have an abscess. They really didn't want to expose her to more radiation in doing a CT scan that wasn't necessary. (they figure one CT scan is equivalent to a year of radiation we naturally get from the environment) And while they had her there, they wanted to get a VCUG test. This test tells them if you have any reflux from the bladder to the kidney. (any urine that goes back up to the kidney, when it is not supposed to) They also wanted another U/S by a pediatric technician, since this was missed on her last one at Bear River Hospital, to see if they could detect the fluid around the kidney, and see if they felt it was abscessing. Then the plan was to place in a PICC line in her arm so she could go home and still be on IV antibiotics since these were working best for her. So to prepare her, and explain to her what would be happening to her, they brought in what they call a "Child Life Specialist" to explain everything to her. Her name was Holly, and she gave Kambree her own special hospital doll in a hospital gown to color and decorate herself.
She fell asleep during the U/S. It was a toasty warm room, with a warm mat to lay on, and a little back rub from the ultrasound wand, and she was having sweet dreams!
They decided she has mild reflux, which most likely she will grow out of, but will need to be on a prophylactic dose of an antibiotic for a year to keep her from getting another infection. The fluid around her kidney did not appear to be abscessing. Her PICC line was placed under sedation that they did right in her room..... which totally creeped me out, but I still didn't want to leave her. So I endured. Watching the monitors the whole time, counting her respiratory rate and pulse. All of these tests were done on Friday. My Birthday. My WORST Birthday ever. Not recommended...... EVER. Not just on your birthday, but on any day.... watching your baby cry and be tortured all day is Hell. I was on the verge of tears all day.... if any one person would have even asked me how I was doing, I most likely would have lost it. Especially when she had such a good couple of days before, and was feeling so much better. It's one thing to have them trying to find out what is wrong so they can get them feeling better, but when they are improving, and finally having good days, and seem to be on the mend, it was just so much worse to have them doing these tests. She lost her tolerance that day. She would no longer allow them to do the things they needed to, like vitals, administer meds, and such without a fight. She had HAD ENOUGH!! As you can see below, she was only too happy to leave come Saturday morning!
So far things are going well at home. She went to the Rodeo last night, and Church today. We do her IV meds at 12 and 6. That's 12 noon and midnight, and 6 am and pm. I will have to take pics of that.... she just carries around her little ball of medicine, with the line attached to her arm, and just keeps playing! So Cute!! She's on the mend!! Thanks for your prayers and words of support! We Love You!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

~ Katie said...

Oh Katie I am so happy she is home. I have been thinking about your family since your last post. So good to know she is on the mend and everything was okay. I am so sorry to read that you had such a crummy birthday. Maybe you can all redo your birthday next weekend when everyone has rested and had time to feel better. Take care, ~kt

Anonymous said...

Katie, I am glad to hear everything is getting better. How awful. The pictures of her are so cute. What a sweetie.

The Doutre Family said...

I'm glad she's feeling better. I saw her in Church on Sunday with her sad IV. I feel for ya. Oh, Happy Birthday! I can't believe you're 25! How time flies!

Anonymous said...

So glad she's feeling better. What a scary deal :{ We will continue to keep her in our prayers!!

Amy Jo said...

Katie is not 25...she is 26 this year!!! Ha Ha...
Thanks for keeping me updated on Kambree. You are one of the lucky ones who gets to bring their little one home from that hospital. Glad she is OK!