I have wanted to do this for quite a while now. Thoughts have tumbled around in my head for months. Hopefully I can do those thoughts justice...... At first I was leary about blogging for fear of the ever "time consuming monster" it could and most likely would become. But my love of family history, and desire to finish my life history won out, and I began the "Bod Fam Blog". I have been facinated by family history for years. Probably thanks to my Dad. I remember going to the Family History Library once a week when I was around 11 or 12 years old. I LOVED it, and when we would "find" something we were looking for. "some little peice of our family" Was all we needed to keep digging. As I got older, I fell in love with the stories and books from amazing people who came before me. I don't have as much time these days as I would like to read them, but like to when I can. I would love to read a blog from my grandmothers. Could you imagine reading about and seeing pictures of your parents when they were young? Not just the few that we have, but from their everyday life, and each family trip or vacation? The feelings and desires of your grandparents? Some of us lucky ones have a little bit of that, but not near what a blog can give you the chance to do. I have always had a testimony of Journal writing, but for some reason it is so hard for me to just sit down and write. But, I am at the computer every day, and that is where my pictures are, and it just becomes easier and more fun this way. So for my number one reason...... 1. I blog for me and my family. My posterity. For Documentation. My Journal. etc....
"To you women of today, who are old or young, may I suggest to you that you write, that you keep journals, that you express your thoughts on paper, writing is a great discipline. It is a tremendous education effort. It will assist you in various ways, and you will bless the lives of many--now and in the years to come, as you put on paper some of your experiences and some of your musings."--President Gordon B. Hinckley
2. Obedience. My Testimony of this "suggestion" from our beloved Prophet. So I started my blog. It was fun. But then something amazing happened. You start to connect with people... not just for fun, but because of similar trials and interests. You start to learn from these people you love, or may have just met online, and you learn or talk about things you would not have normally. How AWESOME is that? I love that feeling of being understood, or you are not alone in your feelings, or that excitement when you are inspired by someone. I am blessed and amazed by all of YOU - the so strong and talented women that you are. I am inspired by.... *the way you write, and the way you can express yourselves *your compassion *the fun things you do with your families and your kids *the things you create and the imagination that you have *the solutions you have come up with to the problems many of us face *your mothering skills, and the way they inspire me to be a better one I laugh with you, and I cry with you. It has filled a need I didn't even know I had. 3. The connection I have with YOU. So three reasons. There are a few more. But these are the most important and fulfilling for me. Why do you blog?

5 comments:
I have enjoyed blogging for the same reasons.I know this is a way to share our testimonies with the world...but I don't trust the "world" with my family. I too love the thoughts of my future great grandchildren having this to read. Technology is a great thing, but I still use my journal for my deepest most private feelings and experiences that are real close to me heart. Our furture posterity will be grateful for blogs, journals, scrapbooks...I think our generation has a greater appreciation for these things.
Katie, that is a great blog, I got a little choked up reading it. You know in my blog I know I write about a lot of little silly things that just aren't important, but I do keep a journal and have since I was 12, it's become a little harder the older and busier I've gotten but I do love writing in my journal.
Well said. Me too. I love the communication I have on blogs with family & friends. Those I see every day and especially those I see once or twice a year. I love that I am able to document our family's 'goings on' in just a few minutes. It's so fast and simple. You're awesome and an inspiration to me and many others.
Thank you Katie, you can say just the right thing in just the right way you are AWESOME! I love when I do get something done on our blog and so does my family it feels like I accomplished something for the day. I do wish that my grandparents could tell us there day to day adventures. Thanks for your inspiration, I also think that our families that are still to come will benefit from this also.
I blog for pretty much the same reasons you do. I've never kept a journal before & since I started my blog I have felt the benefits of writing my feelings & thoughts; good or bad. It's almost like a release to get it out of your mind & into a journal or blog. Plus, even though I just started my blog in Feb. I like to look back at the different things I've blogged about. Sometimes you forget a certain thing you did or emotion you felt, so it's nice to have it on record.
Another thing I love about it is reading about peoples triumphs AND trials. I try to not only write about our adventures but about my personal struggles & how I overcome them as well. I love being inspired & encouraged by other people's testimonies (through good times & bad)& enjoy sharing the way the gospel has changed my life as well. Sometimes I guess I may share too much, but if you know me you know I'm like an open book & hold nothing back, but I want people to know me as I am.
Plus, it's hard keeping in touch, & since I started blogging I've kept in touch way better with others. I even feel like I've gotten to know certain people better through their blogs. When you see someone whom you don't see too often, yet you read their blog, you feel as if you've communicated daily. I love it!!
sorry that was SOOO long :)
Post a Comment