Friday, May 2, 2008

Awake, Arise, & Come Unto Christ.....

.... was the theme for the BYU Women's Conference this year. Wow.... truly inspired, but would you really expect anything less? I swear every year it gets better. Or maybe I get older and appreciate the event more. Any way you say it, It was so worth the efforts. You know how just before you are supposed to leave your kids, you start to think you shouldn't. You start to come up with reasons why you need to be the one to be with them.... Well, I did that again. But so glad I was there. Our opening speaker was Sheri Dew. What an amazing woman. I am in awe of her every time I hear her, or read one of her books. She started off with warning us she was going to be frank. It was not to offend, or to make us feel guilty, but.... A Plea: An Expression of Complete Confidence in Us. Here are some of my notes, (hope they make some sort of sense to you): Women need to rally for the cause of Jesus Christ.... because why? Because they have more influence than any other.... over the home, husband, child and Young Women have more influence over Young Men than any other. "Motherhood is the greatest potential influence in human life." - David O. McKay Are we the women God needs us to be in the ladder part of the ladder days? Are we what we should be? Arise: In regular everyday situations, instead of concentrating on our "to-do" list we should be asking ourselves, "Why has the Lord brought me here today?" and do what you are inspired. We need to SEEK to have influence. Choose holiness always..... in the way you dress, the way you talk, the things you choose to engage in, and with the things you choose to let into your home (media) Couldn't we take a little more time to become a little more holy? If the answer is No, we need to make some major changes. It will be impossible to survive in the ladder days without the Holy Ghost! Children are a gift from God, and our sacred Joy/Privilege - - Do we know who they are? Do you know their desires? Do you know their heart? There is a great need for RIGHTEOUS mothers!
This is just a little bit of what she talked about.... I couldn't write fast enough!! This was just the opening session! We were able to go to 3 classes a day, besides the opening and closing sessions. I will write more and share more notes from other classes in future posts.... this is good for now, it gives you enough to think about for a little while, wouldn't you say? My cousin Julie said this talk reminded her of Julie Beck's talk about "Mothers Who Know", and I agree. What do you think?
Aunt Marge (mom's sister), her 2nd daughter Julie Clawson, Mom (Arlene), Me (Katie), and Ashley (my sister). Just the 5 of us this year, usually we have a sister in law or 2, and more of my cousins.... but this is all that could come this year. We still had a lot of fun! Right ladies???

*Do you look forward to getaways and then worry about your kids?

Do you realize how much of an influence you are to others?

What do you think about S.D.'s talk -vs - J.B.'s? Are they similar? Is someone trying to tell us something? *

4 comments:

Leslie said...

thank you for sharing that headstone with me. that is beautiful. it is such a difficult choice to make. it will be there for all time.
i wish i had limitless funds, i would do amazing things on the headstone.
that one you showed on your blog, though... is so beautiful.
thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.
-leslie *

Anonymous said...

Awesome Katie, I have a very hard time leaving Maklee. It sounds like it was wonderful!

Amy Jo said...

What a wonderful tradition to have with your mom and sisters. I am sure it was all very uplifting. I loved Julie Becks talk. It was very encouraging to listen to and read again.

Travelin'Oma said...

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad you were in my audience.

Your review of the "Awake, Arise" talk captured some of the same things that struck me. She is an awesome speaker. I came home very validated and motivated!