Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The BIG Day.....

... is finally here.... and I couldn't be happier about it. I am tired of the negative publicity, emails, and the media pointing fingers. So obviously I did my patriotic duty and voted. This go round I was really torn.... I really felt neither presidential canidate represented me or my family in any way at all. But what do you do? I feel like I am choosing the lesser of two evils.

So it's done.... I guess it comes down to the fact that my vote (living here in Utah) doesn't really count anyway. But hopefully for a few items right here at home, my vote mattered.

The only item I am really pondering today and where my heart is today isn't even on my ballot. I have a little prayer in my heart today for the residents of California and thier decision on Proposition 8.

I have contemplated the news story on KSL last night about the "Mormon Mothers" who were protesting the church and where they stand on this issue.

I was really suprised at the turn out they had. It made me sad.

I couldn't help but ask the question.... "How can they call themselves a member and a beleiver of this church and gospel and feel that way?" ..... "How can they question a Proclamation from a Prophet of God?" ..... "How can they openly and publicly protest "Their" church on this issue, and not expect repurcussions?"

I feel for these women. I cannot imagine how it would be to be a mother of a Gay or Lesbian child and I understand their desire to support them. However they have accepted this gospel and all that comes with it. We do not get to pick and choose what principles we want to live by and which we do not. For me you either accept it all, or you do not. That sounds very Black and White, but I guess on this issue..... that is where I am. I am not saying I am perfect, and that I abide by all of the principles and guidelines of the church at all times, but I would be the first to admit it. I strive everyday to live the teaching of our prophets and the commandments of my savior, I am not perfect. But I would NEVER protest my church privately or publicly.

My prayers and thoughts are with those residents of California today. I hope and pray they will find the courage to stand their ground on this moral issue.

God Bless Us, EVERYONE.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Well said, KT!! I absolutely agree!

amber said...

AMEN!

Heidi said...

i'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA TOO!!!

Amy Jo said...

Our world is getting so very evil. All the mocking and protesting in Cali. sort of reminds me a Lehi's dream of the people on the spacious building...Very sad. However, we have been told that these things are coming and happening now. All we can do is what you said. Try each and everyday to listen to our prophet and try to be the best we can.

TiffaniS said...

I so agree. A hymn is singing in my head...
"Who's on the Lord's side who?!"

I keep thinking that if I don't feel like 'my vote counts' or 'I have to choose the lesser of 2 evils' then now more than ever, I have to be choosing the Lord's side...The Gospel...Righteousness!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I have a step brother who is gay & I couldn't agree with you more. We can love our family members who have chosen "different" ways, but do not have to agree with what they do. The gospel & the Lord MUST come first!! Scary where this world is headed isn't it??

Wendi said...

Katie that was a beautiful, touching post. In case any of us need to be reminded to count our blessings read the blog "confessions of a pioneer woman" and read about the journey her husband and two daughters are on in the Dominican Republic for Compassion International. It makes the broken handle on my microwave seem like nothing!